Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day

It was quite appropriate for Earth Day that one of the technology sites was showing a chart of how much water was used for various things, e.g, 6 gallons for flushing a toilet and 37 gallons for producing a cup of coffee, to indicate one's "water footprint".

My first thought was "I'm not going to give up my cup of coffee; instead, I'll flush less". On further reading, however, it became clearer that the chart was mixing "Direct Use" with "Virtual Use" (that is, the water it takes to get a product to the consumer).

So, I will definitely look into ways of reducing "Direct Use" of water and still have my cup of coffee. I'll drink to that!

3 comments:

  1. I have to admit, as I was reading your post, I had the same thought about my coffee! Glad it isn't all my usage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great things to keep in mind and not just for Earth Day!

    ReplyDelete