Monday, May 11, 2009

Do you know...

Do you know....that the collective name for a group of crows is murder? If you didn't, don't feel bad because you're not alone. I was explaining to someone that in an earlier blog, I had a picture of a murder of crows and I got an EEEW because she thought I was being bloodthirsty. In a local branch poll, one person knew what a murder of crows meant.

Someone else asked if that was like an exultation of larks? Well, that was new to me, so I thought it was time to take a closer look at COLLECTIVE BIRD NAMES WE KNOW (or don't):

A murder of crows,
pietousness of doves,
charm of finches,
gaggle of geese,
brace of ducks,
rafter of turkeys,
peep of chickens,
lamentation of swans,
and so the list goes on.

In an "{openbrackets" column on the web, collective names for animals was called one of the "loveliest inventions of the English language". The author goes on to suggest making up some collective names for people, e. g., a "bloat of politicians" . Others added contributions, e.g., a "meme of bloggers". It looked like a perfect example of how Zoho Writer could be used to collaborate on the web. How about a "net of webbers"?

P.S. This was posted from Zoho Writer after a heroic effort to find the key to do it (I hope I didn't sell my firstborn ).

4 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say that, as a fellow birder (although probably not as knowledgeable a one), I'm really enjoying your blog! Maybe we should start a birding group for SPL....

    ReplyDelete
  2. And as another SPL birder, me too! ( I did know about a murder of crows...so, what shall we call a group of librarians/library workers?)A posse?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A shelf of librarians, maybe. I like the idea of a SPL birders group, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A quietude of librarians.

    ReplyDelete